Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
- 2 lbs carrots, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon confectioners' sugar (for dusting)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add carrots and cook until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Drain and mash.
- To the carrots add melted butter, white sugar, flour, baking powder, vanilla extract and eggs.
- Mix well and transfer to a 2 quart casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with confectioners sugar.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
This will be my new "go to" recipe for carrot souffle. I have been making this dish for years, but lost my recipe. I knew when I looked at this one that it was a bit different and I REALLY like this one much better. It uses much less sugar than my original recipe and you were able to taste the carrots instead of just "sweet" when you took a bite. I served it with our Easter lunch and everyone wanted this new recipe. I wish I could give it more than 5 stars!
My son and I love this. He began the Paleo diet a year ago and lost 90 lbs. and has done well sticking to the diet but he missed this. I decided to make a Paleo friendly version for him and I can't tell it from the original. I substitute coconut flour for regular flour and add some agave instead of sugar. I also add a little almond extract along with the vanilla. It is delicious every time. When he sees my blue casserole dish he knows he is in for a treat that feels indulgent but still works with his new way of eating.
I made this exactly as written and it was wonderful!