Recipe by Papa D 1946-2012
I got the basics for this recipe from a friend who makes a lot of Cuban dishes for international themes. I adjusted a few things to my taste. .
Top Review by DailyInspiration
This dish was delicious and we served it with yellow rice as mentioned in the dish. The only change I made was to add a small can of tomato paste to offset and add a little sweetness to the tartness of the olives and capers. We really enjoyed this dish and it was made with Papa D and his family in our thoughts and prayers. Made for the Tribute to Papa D, July, 2012.
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 2 large green peppers, dice
- 3 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 (6 ounce) jar pimento stuffed olives, drain and dice
- 1 (3 ounce) jar capers, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup seedless raisin
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Accent seasoning (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 bay leaf
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all seasoning.
- Saute onions and peppers in 2 tablespoons olive oil and butter until tender add garlic and saute about 1 minute, transfer to a bowl.
- Add the other 2 tbsp, olive oil to the pan and saute meat until browned, add Worcestershire sauce, tomato sauce, and wine and stir well.
- Stir in seasonings, add rest of ingredients stir to combine cover and cook 50 minutes over slow heat, stirring occasionally.
- Discard bay leaf and serve with yellow rice.