4 hrs 30 mins
Khandi Howard's Note:
This is my family's favorite roast recipe. It is savory and spicy and I make it with extra carrots and serve with homemade mashed potatoes and gravy. This is great to prepare on a Saturday evening to the point of baking. Get up Sunday morning, stick it in the oven before church and come home to a wonderful meal. (If you fix the potatoes the night before -- all you'll need to do is microwave until hot.)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1360.77 g boneless shoulder chuck roast
- 3-4 clove garlic, slivered (I use the jarred garlic pieces – about 1t)
- 1-2 pickled jalapeno pepper, slivered
- blend of dry southwest seasoning (I use Emeril’s Southwestern blend or the Bayou Blast either one)
- 29.58 ml bacon drippings or 29.58 ml oil
- 59.14 ml all-purpose flour
- 2 (566.99 g) can ro-tel tomatoes and green chilies
- 118.29-236.59 ml unsalted beef stock (I use Campbell’s even though it has salt and just cut the salt on the roast)
- 6 carrots, cut in halves (I use a bag of baby carrots)
- 1-2 onion, sliced in rings
- 1Insert the garlic and jalapeno slivers into openings in the meats surface.
- 2Rub the meat well with the dry rub or other seasoning blend, and let it sit about 30 minutes to come close to room temperature.
- 3Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
- 4Heat the bacon drippings (for more flavor) or oil in a heavy lidded skillet or Dutch oven.
- 5Dredge the meat in the flour, and brown it in the drippings or oil.
- 6Turn off the heat.
- 7Pour in the tomatoes and ½ cup of stock, and add the carrots and onions to the pan.
- 8Cover the pan tightly, and bake the roast for 4 hours.
- 9Check the meat after 3 hours, and add more stock if it is getting dry.
- 10If it seems a little soupy, uncover it for the last 30 minutes of baking.
- 11The meat should be falling apart tender when done.
- 12Serve the meat and vegetables hot.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Picante Pot Roast
Serving Size: 1 (326 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 687.6
- Calories from Fat 441
- Total Fat 49.0 g
- Saturated Fat 19.7 g
- Cholesterol 160.5 mg
- Sodium 736.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 43.8 g