Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is my husband's recipe, the only chili we eat. It's so good!! Easy enough for dh to make, and just spicy enough to warm us up! This freezes well.
- 2 lbs ground venison or 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes (1 qt.)
- 4 (12 ounce) canspicante V8 vegetable juice
- 2 (16 ounce) cans kidney beans
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Brown meat with onion and garlic in canola oil, leaving the meat in large pieces; drain fat.
- Place all ingredients in a large saucepan; simmer uncovered 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
This chili really surprised me. I didn't expect it to be as good as it was. There are many more chili recipes with a lot more ingredients that don't taste as good but sure take more time. I did simmer it about twice as long cuz it was on the soupy side and I like my chili on the thicker. Overall a great chili that I will make often. I did top it with some chopped cheddar cheese, sour cream and cilantro. Thanks Kaarin for posting.
Darn, no venison, so I had to use the ground beef. Flavorful and filling. A good choice for a busy night when you don't have much time to spend in the kitchen.
Made for ZaarTag. This was good and easy to make! I'll make this again on cold nights. Thanks!