Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This won a "Pace" picante contest
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, undrained
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup Pace Picante Sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (you may want to add more)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano leaves, crushed
- sour cream
- Cook bacon over medium high heat until crisp.
- Remove to paper towels; set aside.
- Add onion and garlic to drippings.
- Cook and stir for 3 minutes.
- Add beans, broth, water, 3/4 cup picante sauce, salt and oregano.
- Cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Ladle into soup bowls; dollop with sour cream.
- Sprinkle with bacon.
- Serve with crackers or tortilla chips.
We really enjoyed this quick and easy soup. I love recipes that go together in a hurry with ingredients that I have on hand, and this is one does just that. I used thick-sliced bacon, Mexican oregano, "hot" picante sauce, and 2 cloves garlic. Also, I added some black pepper and cumin. We loved the chewiness that the bacon added when sprinkled on top. Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe. *Made for Fall 2009 My 3 Chefs*