Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I used to love eating Picadillo when I lived in Key West many years ago. Found this recipe in the paper so I can now enjoy this again. I don't eat beef so I use ground turkey breast instead. Easy quick little dinner.
- 1 lb lean ground beef or 1 lb ground turkey breast
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 2 1⁄2 cups chunky salsa, divided (mild or medium)
- 1 (15 ounce) canrinsed and drained black beans
- 1 cup quick cook brown rice
- 1 cored peeled and chopped apple (about 1/2 inch dice)
- 12 stuffed Spanish olives, sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds
- Cook beef or turkey on medium heat in a large non-stick skillet for 5 minutes or until no longer pink; drain well.
- Meanwhile, combine water, 1 cup salsa and beans in a 3 quart pan.
- Bring to a boil over medium high heat.
- Add rice.
- Stir, cover and reduce heat to low.
- Cook 10 minutes and remove from heat.
- To cooked meat, add remaining 1 1/2 cups salsa, apple, olives, cinnamon and raisins.
- Cover and cook for 7 minutes or until apples are softened and mixture is heated through.
- Serve picadillo with rice and beans mixture.
- Garnish with slivered almonds.