Babs in Toyland's Note:
I used to love eating Picadillo when I lived in Key West many years ago. Found this recipe in the paper so I can now enjoy this again. I don't eat beef so I use ground turkey breast instead. Easy quick little dinner.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb lean ground beef or 1 lb ground turkey breast
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 2 1/2 cups chunky salsa, divided (mild or medium)
- 1 (15 ounce) can rinsed and drained black beans
- 1 cup quick cook brown rice
- 1 cored peeled and chopped apple (about 1/2 inch dice)
- 12 stuffed Spanish olives, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1Cook beef or turkey on medium heat in a large non-stick skillet for 5 minutes or until no longer pink; drain well.
- 2Meanwhile, combine water, 1 cup salsa and beans in a 3 quart pan.
- 3Bring to a boil over medium high heat.
- 4Add rice.
- 5Stir, cover and reduce heat to low.
- 6Cook 10 minutes and remove from heat.
- 7To cooked meat, add remaining 1 1/2 cups salsa, apple, olives, cinnamon and raisins.
- 8Cover and cook for 7 minutes or until apples are softened and mixture is heated through.
- 9Serve picadillo with rice and beans mixture.
- 10Garnish with slivered almonds.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Picadillo with Rice and Black Beans
Serving Size: 1 (356 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 400.1
- Calories from Fat 101
- Total Fat 11.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 49.1 mg
- Sodium 702.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.6 g
- Sugars 9.7 g
- Protein 24.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: