Recipe by Caroline Cooks
This has a different taste from other Picadillo recipes posted; sweet chili sauce to balance the spiciness and saltiness. The combo of sweet-spicy-salty makes a tasty Picadillo meal.
Top Review by AZPARZYCH
This is a good recipe! I forgot to buy the beef stock so had to add water but it was still very flavorful. Add about 15 olives; only change I will make next time is cut the olives in half, getting a whole olive in one bite was a bit salty. Served with warm tortillas. Made for Fall 2009 PAC.
- 1 lb ground round
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup beef stock
- 3⁄4 cup sweet chili sauce
- 2 small potatoes, peeled and diced
- 8 -10 green olives, pitted
- salt and pepper, to taste
- olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- In a mixing bowl, combine ground beef, oregano, cumin, salt and pepper.
- In a skillet, heat olive oil. Sauté onions, green pepper, and garlic until soft. Add ground beef mixture, beef stock, and chili sauce.
- Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 15 minutes.
- Add diced potato. Cover and cook another 15 minutes, or until potatoes are done.
- Remove cover.
- Add olives and cook, uncovered, 15 minutes or until liquid is fully evaporated, but the meat is still moist.
- Serve picadillo warm with rice or let cool and use as a filling for empanadas and papas rellenas.