1/3 Photos of Picadillo Pie Topped With Sweet Potato
1 hr 5 mins
This is out of "Eat Caribbean" cookbook. The description states this is a ground beef hash or 'picadillo' as it is known in Cuba. It is traditionally served with a fried egg on top. But in this case, the recipe is topped with a sweet potato topping turning it into a sweet potaote shepherd pie.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 onions, minced
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 1 scotch bonnet peppers, deseeded and minced or 1 teaspoon jerk seasoning
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 sweet pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 4 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons stuffed green olives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed (optional)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 4 sweet potatoes, peeled and boiled
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1Preheat the over to 350 degrees.
- 2Put the sweet potatoes in a pan of salted water and boil until tender, about 20 miutes. Drain well.
- 3Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large heavy-bottomed skillet. Add the onions and cook over medium heat for about 6 miutes until soft.
- 4Add the meat and cook, stirring constantly, for about 10 minutes or untl lightly coloured.
- 5Add the hot pepper, garlic, green or red pepper, tomoatoes, parsley, cumin, oregano, cloves, golden raisisn, salt and pepper and cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- 6Stir in the chopped olives and capers and cook for a further few mintues. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Put into a casserole dish, leaving space for the sweet potaot topping.
- 7Mash the sweet potatoes with the butter and mild and season with allspice. Put this on top of the picadillo and spread eveny. Place in the oven for 20 minutes or until the potoato topping starts to brown on the edges.
Browse Our Top Weeknight Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Picadillo Pie Topped With Sweet Potato
Serving Size: 1 (373 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 434.9
- Calories from Fat 218
- Total Fat 24.2 g
- Saturated Fat 8.7 g
- Cholesterol 83.6 mg
- Sodium 540.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 10.6 g
- Protein 24.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
stuffed green olives