Recipe by Ck2plz
This is out of "Eat Caribbean" cookbook. The description states this is a ground beef hash or 'picadillo' as it is known in Cuba. It is traditionally served with a fried egg on top. But in this case, the recipe is topped with a sweet potato topping turning it into a sweet potaote shepherd pie.
Top Review by Karen Elizabeth
This was really good, everyone had seconds!!! I omitted the milk and butter from the sweet potato topping as my cousin is lactose-intolerant, we really didnt miss it. Amazingly tasty, my husband wants this again soon! It reminded me of a cross between South African bobotie, with all the sweet/savoury contrasts in the meat filling, and a Shepherds pie. Very glad we tried this, thank you Ck2plz, made for ZWT9, Pink Panthers On The Prowl.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 onions, minced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 scotch bonnet peppers, deseeded and minced or 1 teaspoon jerk seasoning
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 sweet pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 4 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons stuffed green olives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed (optional)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 4 sweet potatoes, peeled and boiled
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the over to 350 degrees.
- Put the sweet potatoes in a pan of salted water and boil until tender, about 20 miutes. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large heavy-bottomed skillet. Add the onions and cook over medium heat for about 6 miutes until soft.
- Add the meat and cook, stirring constantly, for about 10 minutes or untl lightly coloured.
- Add the hot pepper, garlic, green or red pepper, tomoatoes, parsley, cumin, oregano, cloves, golden raisisn, salt and pepper and cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the chopped olives and capers and cook for a further few mintues. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Put into a casserole dish, leaving space for the sweet potaot topping.
- Mash the sweet potatoes with the butter and mild and season with allspice. Put this on top of the picadillo and spread eveny. Place in the oven for 20 minutes or until the potoato topping starts to brown on the edges.