1/1 Photo of Picadillo (Hash) at the Flores Family's El Charro Cafe
This is a traditional dish for a Mexican wedding. Use Spanish green olives in this recipe. Ketchup sweetens Picadillo; so, if the apples are tart, you might choose to add a little. To "slowest choppers in the Western Hemisphere", I recommend preparing the following the day before: garlic, onion, celery, olives. I stored the garlic and onion in vinegar overnight. The raisins and ketchup/water/sugar mixtures prepare quickly. The potato and apple should be saved for last, since they will turn color. With no specified amount of cinnamon, I used about 1 teaspoon, and it was noticeable but not overpowering. I like garlic, but the garlic was not overpowering at all, it was just go-ooo-d!. It has a sweet and sour aspect. I was wary of this dish as it was labelled "hash". So I prepared Italian Meat Loaf from BH&G in case DH was disappointed in the Picadillo. I called it the match between Italian and Mexican cuisines in the ground beef category. The Italian meat loaf was excellent, so I was really shocked that DH preferred this Picadillo. The recipe came from "The Flores Family's El Charro Cafe Cookbook."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup garlic, pureed
- 1/2 medium white onion, chopped
- 2 1/2 cups potatoes, cooked and diced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup raisins, soaked in hot water until plump
- 8 tablespoons vinegar
- 1/2 cup ketchup (optional)
- 1/2 cup water (optional)
- 6 Spanish olives, pitted, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar (Up to 2 teaspoons sugar) (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup apple, unpeeled and diced
- 1Heat a skillet and add the salt, water, and ground beef.
- 2Stir and separate the beef, and brown it quickly.
- 3Mix ketchup with water in equal proportions.
- 4Add the garlic puree, onion, potato, celery, tomato, raisins, vinegar, ketchup/water mixture, olives, sugar, cinnamon, and apples.
- 5Cook until flavors blend, about 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- 6Makes 6-8 servings.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Picadillo (Hash) at the Flores Family's El Charro Cafe
Serving Size: 1 (360 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 365.7
- Calories from Fat 138
- Total Fat 15.3 g
- Saturated Fat 6.1 g
- Cholesterol 98.2 mg
- Sodium 311.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 7.4 g
- Protein 32.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: