3 hrs 20 mins
echo echo's Note:
Adapted from a recipe in the Cooking Light Slow Cooker Cookbook. This one uses pitted dates and dried apricots in place of the more traditional raisins, but raisins could be substituted for either or both of these if you prefer. If more heat is desired, substitute hotter peppers for part of the bell peppers, increase the amount of cayenne or add dried red pepper flakes or hot pepper sauce. It can also be made with a combination of ground beef and ground pork, or even made with ground turkey. I use no-salt-added tomatoes and tomato sauce. Very versatile: serve it over hot rice, wrap it in flour tortillas, use it to stuff peppers, zucchini or other vegetables or serve it as a dip with tortilla chips.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 1/2 cups chopped green bell peppers
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup sliced scallion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup chopped pitted dates
- 1/3 cup chopped dried apricot
- 1/4 cup sliced pimento stuffed olive (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted (optional)
- 1In a large nonstick skillet, or skillet sprayed with nonstick spray, begin to brown beef, stirring and breaking up with a wooden spoon.
- 2As meat begins to brown, add bell pepper through garlic. Continue to cook until meat is well browned and vegetables soften.
- 3Drain off fat and place meat in a 4-quart crock pot.
- 4Add tomatoes through black pepper and stir well.
- 5Cover, set crock pot on "high" and cook 3 hours.
- 6If desired, stir in almonds.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Picadillo from a Crock Pot
Serving Size: 1 (217 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 280.3
- Calories from Fat 106
- Total Fat 11.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.6 g
- Cholesterol 73.7 mg
- Sodium 487.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 12.5 g
- Protein 24.7 g