Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Sweet and savory Mexican beef is great over saffron rice and as a filling for tortilla dishes or stuffed peppers. It is definitely better the 2nd day so make it a day ahead if possible.
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup capers
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 lb ground round
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 cup dry sherry, divided
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 drops Tabasco sauce, to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄3 cup raisins
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup sliced pimento stuffed olive
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over moderately low heat and saute the onions until softened; add the bell peppers, garlic, capers and almonds and cook, stirring, until the peppers are tender, about 4-6 minutes.
- Add the beef and cook until no longer pink, 5-7 minutes; add tomato paste, 3/4 cup sherry, vinegar, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper, Tabasco, bay leaf, rasins and water; bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes.
- Discard bay leaf; stir in remaining 1/4 cup sherry and the olives; serve.