Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a great one dish meal.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup beer
- 1 1⁄3 cups canned chopped tomatoes, drained (from one 15-ounce can)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 lb baking potato, about 2,peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup pitted green olives, quartered
- In a large Dutch oven, cook the ground beef until it is no longer pink.
- Add the onion, bell pepper, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the beer, tomatoes, tomato paste, cumin, coriander, salt, black pepper, and Tabasco sauce and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick frying pan, heat the oil over moderately high heat.
- Add the potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, raisins, and olives to the meat mixture.
- Cook, covered, until the potatoes are just done, about 15 minutes longer.
- Serve with warm flour tortillas.