1/1 Photo of Picadillo
Dreamer in Ontario's Note:
Picadillo is a Spanish or Mexican ground meat hash with vegetables. It usually has capers and green olives in it as well. This recipe may be served over rice or used as a filling for sweet peppers, tortillas, taco shells or pita breads, even spooned over toasted buns. Source of recipe: Anne Lindsay's New Light Cooking. When I made this I found the flavour of 2 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce to be too strong for my taste. I would try 1 tbsp and then taste it. I would also add the same quantity of vinegar so if you only added 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce then only use 1 tbsp vinegar. Note: May substitute 14 oz can tomato sauce for tomato paste and water but salt content will be higher.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 small sweet green peppers, chopped
- 1 (5 1/2 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup green olives, pitted and chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1 -2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (or to taste)
- 1 -2 tablespoon red wine vinegar (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1Using a large nonstick skillet, cook beef over medium heat, breaking up with spoon, until browned and drain off any fat.
- 2Add onions and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until nearly tender.
- 3Add garlic and peppers, and cook, stirring often, for 2 to 3 minutes or until onions are softened.
- 4Mix tomato paste with water and stir into beef mixture along with raisins, olives, capers and Worcestershire sauce (original recipe called for 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce but I found that to be too much).
- 5Simmer for 5 minutes to blend flavors then stir in vinegar (I would add the same amount of vinegar as Worcestershire sauce), salt and pepper.
Nutritional Facts for Picadillo
Serving Size: 1 (277 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 269.9
- Calories from Fat 94
- Total Fat 10.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 58.9 mg
- Sodium 670.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 15.4 g
- Protein 21.0 g