Recipe by GREG IN SAN DIEGO
This is a wonderful Mexican dish, best served over hot rice or in flour tortillas.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) candiced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 large granny smith apple
- 1⁄4 cup sliced pimento-stuffed green olives
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1⁄4 cup toasted slivered almonds
- hot cooked rice or flour tortilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown the ground beef in a large saucepan or Dutch oven. Drain the fat,.
- Add onion, jalapeno pepper and garlic. Cook another 3 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients except the almonds.
- Bring mixture to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes, uncovered, until the sauce is slightly thickened.
- Remove cinnamon stick and add almonds. Serve over hot cooked rice or with flour tortillas.