Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Picadillo is one of the Cuban dishes I discovered while living in Miami. This version is always a hit with my family and friends. I serve picadillo over white or yellow rice. Black beans and garlic bread make a nice accompaniment.
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons green olives, sliced
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1⁄4 cup diced pimento
- 1 cup frozen green pea
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano, ground
- Cook ground beef in a large pan over medium heat until done. Remove from pan, drain, and set aside.
- Add olive oil to pan. When the oil is hot add onions and green peppers. Sauté until onions are translucent. Add garlic and saute several more minutes.
- Return cooked beef to pan and add remaining ingredients. Stir well and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low; cover pan and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf before serving.
This recipe is as good as the other reviewers said it was. I made it for Cinco de Mayo and it did not disappoint. I made mine in a vegan version using Yves fake ground beef and it worked great! One note of caution, I added the 1/2 teaspoon salt prior to trying it and regretted it. I hadn't added any additional salt so figured it would be bland and need the 1/2 tsp, but it turns out the olives added quite a bit of salt, so it was a bit on the salty side. Otherwise, it rocked. This one is going in my "go-to" cookbook. I made it with the recipezaar recipe for Mexican Yellow Rice, which was also fantastic and easy to make. The whole thing took me about an hour.
I love this!! I've made it many times already and many of my friends have asked for the recipe and love it also. The mix of tastes works out wonderfully! I eat it over white rice and everyone in my family gobbles it up every time. Thanks!
Amazing flavor! We love this recipe and I make it often!! I only use 1 lb of ground beef and sometimes use 2 Tbs of pimento-stuffed green olives instead of a can of pimentos. I always use sherry. Make yellow rice or ID #348262 and add another handful of raisins. YUM :)