1/1 Photo of Picadas (Pinched Masa Tartlets)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1 lb masa harina flour, fresh or reconstituted by mixing 2 cups masa harina with about 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons warm water (masa harina is made by Quaker Oats and other companies)
- 1/2 cup lard or 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
For the toppings
- 1For the picadas: With your hands, work the salt into the masa.
- 2Shape it into 20 to 22 walnut-size balls.
- 3Press them into rounds about 3 inches across and 1/8-inch thick.
- 4Set them side by side (not stacked) on baking sheets as they are shaped, covering them with a damp cloth.
- 5Lightly grease a griddle or large cast-iron skillet and heat over medium-high heat until a drop of water sizzles on contact.
- 6Have ready a basket lined with tea towels.
- 7Now you must work quickly, because the masa will be supple enough to shape for only a few seconds after baking.
- 8Place 2 of the prepared masa rounds on the hot griddle and cook for about 1 1/2 minutes, until the edges shrink away slightly from the pan and lose their raw look.
- 9Turn and cook the other side for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes more.
- 10Transfer to a plate or work surface and, while they're still hot, quickly pinch up the edges of each into a slightly raised rim.
- 11Place them in the basket and cover snugly with the towels.
- 12Continue with the remaining masa rounds, 2 at a time.
- 13Line a baking sheet with paper towels.
- 14In a small skillet or saucepan, heat the lard or shortening over medium heat until hot but not quite rippling.
- 15Using kitchen tongs, slide each picada into the hot fat and let it cook for 10 to 20 seconds.
- 16Before it starts to brown, lift out, letting it drain well, and set on the prepared baking sheet.
- 17When all the picadas are done, layer them with guacamole, cooked chicken and salsa.
- 18Scatter some of the grated cheese over the sauce, top with some chopped onion, if desired, and serve.
Nutritional Facts for Picadas (Pinched Masa Tartlets)
Serving Size: 1 (1171 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 157.4
- Calories from Fat 62
- Total Fat 6.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 15.3 mg
- Sodium 205.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 5.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: