Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I found this recipe when browsing an old bookstore. It was in between the pages of a very old cookbook. I bought the book just for this recipe. It has been worth every penny. When done, the sauce makes a very good gravy for potatoes or rice.
- 2 1⁄2-4 lbs beef roast
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, cut roughly and rubbed on roast
- 1 cup beef bouillon
- 1⁄2 cup Burgundy wine
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce, rub on roast
- Place half of the veggies, onion,green pepper, and celery on bottom of oil sprayed roasting pan.
- Rub roast with garlic pieces and soy sauce.
- The roast can be browned on top of the stove at this point if preferred
- Add roast on top of the veggies in pan (1/2 veggies).
- Rub again with garlic and soy sauce.
- Pour bullion and burgandy over roast.
- Add remaining veggies to roast.
- Cover and cook until meat is how you like it.
I made it minus the green peppers and it was excellent! We enjoyed the gravy over our meat and potatoes!
What a wonderful roast beef recipe. The gravey was so tasty and flavourful. The beef was tender, moist and delicious. I added a carrot and 2 shallots to the vegetable mixture. I will definitely be making this again. I can't wait to use the meat & gravey in a meat pie. Thanks so much for sharing Gail...Kudos Kato
This is very good. I used a can of Campbell's French Onion Soup instead of the beef bullion since it was handy and cut slits in the meat and inserted the garlic slices throughout on both sides. I'm not a fan of green peppers, so I think I'll leave those out next time, but this was very tasty, tender and the drippings were excellent!