Prep 30 mins
Cook 12 mins
These buttery, crisp phyllo-wrapped bites of banana with a hint of chocolate are so sinfully delicious served warm with chocolate dipping sauce. I made these for my husband's birthday this year because he's not a big fan of cake, but he LOVES warm banana desserts. These bites of goodness were definitely a huge hit. Score 10 points for the "chef"!
- 8 ounces phyllo pastry sheets
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder
- 4 -5 bananas, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips or 2 cups bittersweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup half-and-half or 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 pint red raspberries (for garnish) (optional)
- 1 cup whipped cream (for garnish) (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Onto a clean, dry work surface, place phyllo dough sheets. Cover with a damp towel (but not overly wet). Make sure there is an equal-sized clean, dry work space very close to the covered phyllo dough, as this will make assembly much easier.
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, melt butter. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine sugar and cocoa powder. Set aside.
- Peel and cut bananas into 1-inch chunks. Set aside.
- Place two large cookie sheets nearby for the assembled banana bites. If desired, line with parchment paper.
- Carefully take first phyllo sheet from the top of the stack and lay it onto the prepared clean, dry work surface. Re-cover the stack with the damp towel.
- Gently brush a light layer of butter onto the phyllo sheet and sprinkle with sugar & cocoa mixture, top with another phyllo sheet and repeat until four sheets have been stacked and buttered.
- With a pastry cutter or pizza cutter, gently cut phyllo into six evenly-spaced squares. Place banana chunk in center of each square. Fold the opposite corners of each square over the banana chunk. Then fold the other two corners in, brush the top lightly with butter, sprinkle with a pinch of sugar-cocoa mixture and place onto cookie sheet. Repeat until all banana bites are assembled.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until lightly browned and crispy.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, into a medium microwave-safe bowl, place chocolate chips, butter and half-and-half. Microwave for 30 seconds, stir and repeat until melted and smooth.
- Serve banana bites warm with the chocolate dip.
- If desired, garnish with whipped cream and raspberries as shown in the photo.