Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
I was charged with making asparagus for Easter. I am tired of the same old asparagus recipe, so attempted to combine a few that had good components. The outcome was a hit. I hope others agree. I will warn you that my measurements may not be exact, let me know how it goes.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs asparagus spears, cleaned & trimmed
- 4 ounces cream cheese with vegetables, vegetable flavored
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 (16 ounce) package phyllo dough, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter
- 1 (8 ounce) package panko breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup fresh grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- Thin cream cheese with the milk.
- Carefully unroll phyllo dough and cut 3 strips width-wise. Cover with a damp towel to keep moist while you are working. Layer 3-4 strips of phyllo on your work surface, brushing melted butter and sprinkling some bread crumbs between each layer, as well as on the top. On the top strip additionally, spread some of the cream cheese mixture and sprinkle some of the parmigiano cheese. Take 3 asparagus spears, lay on top of the phyllo strips and wrap around middle/bottom part of asparagus. It should look very pretty with some of the green sticking out on both ends. Brush additional butter on top and sprinkle more parmigiano cheese and bread crumbs.
- Repeat this process until you are out of asparagus.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes, or until the phyllo is golden brown. Serve warm.