These apples are wrapped in crispy, buttery layers of phyllo dough and are stuffed as well as topped with a sweet mixture of oats and spices, which resemble "fruit crisp" topping. This is a relatively easy to assemble dessert with an eye-appealing presentation.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 apples, medium, peeled and cored (Macintosh)
- 1 cup oats, rolled, old fashioned
- 1 cup brown sugar, loosely packed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon clove, ground
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 8 ounces phyllo pastry sheets, thawed (half of a box, found in the frozen desserts section of your grocery store)
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2In a medium mixing bowl, combine oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. Stir in 1/4 cup butter, tossing with a fork until crumbly texture achieved.
- 3Place one phyllo leaf on a dry kitchen towel and lightly brush with butter, using remaining 1/4 cup of melted butter. Place a second leaf on top of first phyllo leaf and brush with butter. Repeat until four leaves have been used.
- 4Place peeled and cored (whole) apple in center of layered phyllo. Gently pick up sides of phyllo and gather evenly around apple. Do not enclose apple. Leave the top of the apple exposed and the phyllo edges open. Brush butter lightly around exterior of apple. Repeat process with remaining three apples.
- 5Pack oat stuffing mixture into cored center of each apple. Mound remaining stuffing atop exposed portion of apple.
- 6Place each wrapped and stuffed apple in a baking dish, leaving space between so they do not touch.
- 7Bake for 40-45 minutes or until phyllo and topping are golden brown and crisp, and apple is tender.
- 8Serve warm.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Phyllo-Wrapped Baked Stuffed Apples
Serving Size: 1 (362 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 732.5
- Calories from Fat 252
- Total Fat 28.0 g
- Saturated Fat 15.7 g
- Cholesterol 61.0 mg
- Sodium 461.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 116.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
- Sugars 67.7 g
- Protein 7.9 g