Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Paulas Home Cooking
- 8 -9 asparagus spears, depending on size
- 0.5 (16 ounce) packagefrozen phyllo pastry sheets, thawed
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Snap off the tough ends of the asparagus.
- Unwrap the phyllo and cut the stack in half lengthwise. Reserve 1 stack for later use. Cover the phyllo with a damp towel to keep it from drying out.
- Take 1 sheet of phyllo and brush lightly with some melted butter. Sprinkle with some Parmesan.
- Place 2 to 3 asparagus spears on the short end of the sheet. Roll up, jelly-roll style.
- Place each piece, seam side down, on a baking sheet. Brush with more melted butter and sprinkle with more Parmesan. Repeat until all the asparagus spears are used up.
- Place baking sheet in oven and bake for 15 to 18 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy.
This has been a winner at our house! Added freshly sauteed mushrooms with butter and garlic and used an Italian mix of low moisture cheeses. Thank you for this recipe! May try crumbled bacon in it next time.
My husband actually said he would eat asparagus fixed like this again. I put a little cheese spread I had left from the puff pasty Feuittetes Fromages Savory Puff Pastry Packages & Cheese becasue it needed used up. Turned out perfect. Thanks so much!
This is a great recipe, easy to make, tasty and impressive. I have made it twice already. I used 1 sheet folded in half and buttered each half inside and out accordingly. I too sprinkled parmesan inside the layers of phyllo and the second time I added some chopped mushrooms in with the asparagus and of course a little dash of salt in each one. Thanks for sharing this one!