1/2 Photos of Phyllo Spinach Fish Pie
1 hr 10 mins
Phyllo and spinach make you think of warm and sunny Greece! The fish gives this combo another twist. Created for the RSC cook contest!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 -14 ounces catfish or 12 -14 ounces tilapia fillets
- 1 lime, juice and zest of
- 10 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry as much as possible
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup sour cream or 1/2 cup creme fraiche
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaf, chopped
- 1/2 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/2 cup cashew nuts, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- fresh grated nutmeg, to taste
- 5 sheets phyllo pastry
- olive oil, for brushing
- 4 tablespoons panko breadcrumbs
- 4 -6 ounces mild brie cheese or 4 -6 ounces mozzarella cheese, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, sliced or 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 2Cube the fish, sprinkle with lime juice and set aside.
- 3Mix together the spinach, eggs, sour cream, basil, green onions, garlic and cashew nuts, also add the zest of the lime.
- 4Add seasonings to taste.
- 5Brush a 9 inch round baking tin with olive oil, a loose bottom or springform pan will make it easier to remove the pie after baking.
- 6Brush a sheet of phyllo with olive oil, line the tin, sprinkle with some breadcrumbs, repeat with all the sheets overlapping each time and using the breadcrumbs, you will have lots of pastry hanging over the side of the tin.
- 7Drain the fish, mix gently with the spinach mixture and pour in the pastry lined tin.
- 8Top with the cheese and then the tomatoes.
- 9Roll the overhanging pastry up and over the edge of the tin, ending up with a tight roll all the way around the pie but on the inside of the tin, then brush the pastry roll with olive oil.
- 10Bake for 30-35 minutes, let stand for 5 minutes and remove from the tin.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Phyllo Spinach Fish Pie
Serving Size: 1 (767 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1095.7
- Calories from Fat 599
- Total Fat 66.6 g
- Saturated Fat 26.4 g
- Cholesterol 373.4 mg
- Sodium 1221.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.0 g
- Sugars 8.9 g
- Protein 64.8 g