Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
These spinach, chicken stuffed rolls is easier then it looks. Looks like you took hours to make this exquisite dinner. Place slice of the rolls on your favorite chicken gravy served with simple white rice. Or slice into appetizer size slices for fun pickens! This recipe make 2 rolls.
Spread for in between layers of phyllo dough
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon sliced garlic
- 1⁄3 cup seasoned dry bread crumb
- 1⁄3 cup crushed cashews
- 6 sheets phyllo dough (each 14X18, 3 sheets pre roll)
- 10 ounces frozen spinach, defrosted and squeezed of all moisture
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons instant minced onion
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 6 ounces chicken breasts, poached or roasted shredded
- 1 tablespoon ranch dressing or 1 tablespoon blue cheese dressing
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Mix the melted butter, garlic, breadcrumbs, & cashews (ingredients for the spread between layers of phyllo dough.
- ) Split in half.
- One pre roll.
- Mix Spinach Filling ingredients together the Spinach, Egg, onions, cayenne, & Basil.
- Split in half.
- One pre roll.
- Mix chichen and dressing.
- Split in half.
- Start with one phyllo sheet short side toward you.
- Take 1/2 of the butter mixture and spread it on one sheet, repeat laying a sheet of phyllo and the rest of the other half of butter mixture.
- Lay the third sheet over the butter mixture.
- Place 1/2 of the chicken over the prepared phyllo follow with 1/2 the spinach mixture.
- Roll up short end to short end and place on cookie sheet pan.
- When rolling remember you are in control so roll firmly.
- And tenderly spread the rolls with any butter that escapes onto your hand onto the outside of the rolls.
- Repeat with the other half of ingredients to make the other roll.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Slice into quarters for a meal or eighths for an appetizer.
This was really really good! It was easy to make, and since I had to cook the chicken, took me closer to an hour from start to finish. Instead of Ranch dressing I used Golden Caeser. I also put the spinach and chicken in their own layer of phyllo. I served this with Minute Rice and McCormick chicken gravy and will definately be making this again!
This was really good and surprisinly filling. I made a few changes I added a handful of fresh parmesan to the spinach mixture, realized I didn't have cayenne, so I used chili powder with a liitle bit of crushed red pepper flake. I mixed my chicken with casear dressing, because once again, thought I had ranch dressing but I was wrong so had to make due with what I had. The end result was very good, will make again. Thanx Rita
Phyllo Rolls Filled with Spinach and Chicken #116467 - by Rita L Rita, after reading the ingredients, and instructions, I had such confidence in this recipe that I doubled the recipe to cook 4 rolls. Somehow when phyllo and chicken are mentioned in the same recipe, my ears perk up, my eyes bug out and my tummy says "Boy, Howdy". For your recipe Rita, I used fresh Spinach. Elly and I went to the market and while having a good time shopping, among other things I purchased a large bag of fresh spinach from a farmer, for the express purpose of preparing RSC#6 recipes. I was not disappointed. The results were equally satisfying. The "spread" and "spinach filling" were tasty on their own, prior to filling the phyllo sheet. One must taste to determine perfect blend of seasoning, musn't one. I love the flavour of poached chicken breasts, chopped finely with a large chef's knife. It is like making a chicken salad for a sandwich.. Mixed with blue cheese dressing, spread over the phyllo dough and spinach mixture, rolled into a tasty 'cylinder', makes the short wait worth while. It is a simple recipe, easy to prepare, directions easy to follow, the Phyllo Rolls can be cooking in your oven while the rice and gravy are being prepared. The recipe was well thought out. I compliment Rita L on her usual good taste and talent in putting this one together. Deeeeeelissssshhhussss. I rate this recipe 10 out of 5 also.