1 hr 30 mins
This is a really "show off" make ahead casserole. Don't be scared of fooling with the phyllo dough...it is easy to work with!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 20 frozen phyllo pastry sheets, thawed
- 3/4 cup melted butter
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese (or cheddar)
- 1/2 lb bulk sausage
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped (for color)
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 5 eggs
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- salt & pepper
- 1Saute mushrooms, onions, green onions, and red pepper in 1 Tablespoon of butter or margarine. Cook until tender and set aside.
- 2In the same frying pan, brown the sausage, breaking it up as it cooks. Drain fat and mix with the mushroom/onion/pepper mixture. Remove from heat.
- 3In a separate bowl mix eggs and Monterey Jack cheese.
- 4Stir up the riccota cheese to break it up.
- 5Get a 12 x 9 pan and brush the bottom lightly with the melted butter.
- 6Unwrap you Phyllo dough and cover it with a damp dish towel. Layer Phyllo to fit the pan, buttering each sheet for 5 sheets. Keep a damp dish towel over phyllo when not using it.
- 7Spread 1/2 mushroom sausage mixture over.
- 8Layer and butter 5 more sheets of Phyllo dough.
- 9Spread all the egg end cheese mixture and the riccota cheese.
- 10Layer and butter 5 more sheets of Phyllo.
- 11Spread with the remaining mushroom sausage.
- 12Layer and butter the remaining 5 sheets of phyllo.
- 13Score top layer of phyllo in a diamond shape.
- 14Bake at 350 F for 50 minutes or until golden brown.
- 15This casserole can be made up to 1 day ahead!
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Phyllo Mushroom and Sausage Breakfast Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (150 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 359.0
- Calories from Fat 229
- Total Fat 25.5 g
- Saturated Fat 13.4 g
- Cholesterol 153.8 mg
- Sodium 436.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 13.1 g