Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 40 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is a really "show off" make ahead casserole. Don't be scared of fooling with the phyllo dough...it is easy to work with!
- 20 frozen phyllo pastry sheets, thawed
- 3⁄4 cup melted butter
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese (or cheddar)
- 1⁄2 lb bulk sausage
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped (for color)
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 5 eggs
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- salt & pepper
- Saute mushrooms, onions, green onions, and red pepper in 1 Tablespoon of butter or margarine. Cook until tender and set aside.
- In the same frying pan, brown the sausage, breaking it up as it cooks. Drain fat and mix with the mushroom/onion/pepper mixture. Remove from heat.
- In a separate bowl mix eggs and Monterey Jack cheese.
- Stir up the riccota cheese to break it up.
- Get a 12 x 9 pan and brush the bottom lightly with the melted butter.
- Unwrap you Phyllo dough and cover it with a damp dish towel. Layer Phyllo to fit the pan, buttering each sheet for 5 sheets. Keep a damp dish towel over phyllo when not using it.
- Spread 1/2 mushroom sausage mixture over.
- Layer and butter 5 more sheets of Phyllo dough.
- Spread all the egg end cheese mixture and the riccota cheese.
- Layer and butter 5 more sheets of Phyllo.
- Spread with the remaining mushroom sausage.
- Layer and butter the remaining 5 sheets of phyllo.
- Score top layer of phyllo in a diamond shape.
- Bake at 350 F for 50 minutes or until golden brown.
- This casserole can be made up to 1 day ahead!