Yum, Yum, Yum this is a flaky, cheesy, delicious spinach pie layered between sheets of buttery fillo. This recipe is from the Fillo Factory Fillo Dough Box.
- 16 sheets phyllo dough
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 12 ounces low fat cottage cheese
- 8 ounces light cream cheese
- 4 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 2 scallions (green onions)
- 1 medium sized onion
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- Before starting make sure to read the thawing and handleing tips on the fillo dough package that you purchased.
- Chop onions and thinkly slice scallions. Then saute in vegetable oil at medium heat until tender and golden.
- Drain spinach and squeeze dry.
- Thoroughly mix onions, spinach, cheeses, dill, pepper and egg in a large bowl.
- Melt butter.
- Brush bottom and sides of a 13" x 9" x 2" baking pan with butter.
- Using 8 fillo sheets build a stack in the bottom of the baking pan by brushing the top of the fillo sheets with butter.
- Spread spinach and cheese mixture evenly over the fillo in the baking pan.
- Cover mixture using the other 8 sheets of fillo in the same manner used to create the base.
- Thoroughly butter the top layer, especially the edges.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown in 375 degree preheated oven.
- Let stand for 10 minutes for easier serving. Cut into squares or triangles using sharp knife.
it's delicious! i doubled it AND added another egg. I like it! It's not as dense as I was going for but it's creamy and flavorful and although time consuming and not that cheap, it's easy once I found the dough.
Heavenly!! We love the Phyllo dough recipes, I'll have to post the one I have for chicken!