Recipe by Manami
We made these tarts, filled with a savory and onion saute, from various different recipes here on zaar and the testing and tasting was the good part! These were served at the Inauguration of our new North Wing, on May 11, here at the home and now we are going to serve them at the opening of 3 extra dining rooms -- what fun and how nice!
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or 2 tablespoons unsalted margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups coarsely chopped onions
- 3⁄4 cup chopped fresh button mushroom
- 1⁄3 cup chopped roasted red pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped black olives
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 (2 1/2 ounce) packages miniature phyllo cups, thawed according to pkg directions (15 shells each)
- 1⁄3 cup unsalted butter (probably less) or 1⁄3 cup unsalted margarine (probably less)
- 1⁄2 cup soft spreadable cheese with garlic and herbs (probably less)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350ºF.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter or margarine in 10" skillet; add onions. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until onions are golden and caramelized (7-10 minutes). Stir in remaining filling ingredients. Continue cooking until heated through and no more liquid.
- Set aside. Allow to cool at least 10 minutes.
- Butter the insides of phyllo cups.
- Place phyllo cups on ungreased baking sheet; place about 1 scant teaspoon of onion mixture in center of cups. Top with 1 teaspoon cheese.
- Repeat the process with remaining phyllo cups.
- Bake 5-8 minutes or until golden brown. (Watch them so they don't burn!).
- Serve warm.
- *Filling can be made 1 day ahead. Just bring to room temperature when you are going to make the cups.*.