Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
A little fiddly...but great at Christmas time.
Make and share this Phyllo Crackers recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (375 g) packetfrozen phyllo pastry, thawed
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup butter, melted
- sifted icing sugar (to decorate)
- 450 g apples, peeled, cored and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup fresh white breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons sultanas
- 3 tablespoons currants
- 2⁄3 cup caster sugar
- 1 lemon, rind of, finely grated
- 2 lemons, juice of
- Unwrap phyllo and cover it with clear film and a damp cloth, to prevent it from drying out.
- Put chopped apples in large bowl and mix in the remaining filling ingredients.
- Take one sheet of phyllo at a time and cut into 15x30 cm strips.
- Brush with butter.
- Place a spoonful of the filling at one end and fold in the sides, so the pastry measures 13cm across.
- Brush edges with the melted butter and roll up.
- Pinch the 'frill' tightly at either end of the cracker.
- Brush once again with the butter.
- Place crackers on a baking tray.
- Cover and chill for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 190°C.
- Brush each cracker with melted butter.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until they are golden brown.
- Let them cool slightly on the tray and then transfer to wire rack to allow to cool completely.
- To make lemon sauce, put all the ingredients in a small saucepan and heat gently until dissolved, stirring occasionally.
- Pour warm sauce into a sauce boat and serve with the crackers.
- Dust crackers with icing sugar and tie foil ribbon around ends.