1 hr 10 mins
A little fiddly...but great at Christmas time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (375 g) packet frozen phyllo pastry, thawed
- 1/2-3/4 cup butter, melted
- sifted icing sugar (to decorate)
- 450 g apples, peeled, cored and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup fresh white breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons sultanas
- 3 tablespoons currants
- 1Unwrap phyllo and cover it with clear film and a damp cloth, to prevent it from drying out.
- 2Put chopped apples in large bowl and mix in the remaining filling ingredients.
- 3Take one sheet of phyllo at a time and cut into 15x30 cm strips.
- 4Brush with butter.
- 5Place a spoonful of the filling at one end and fold in the sides, so the pastry measures 13cm across.
- 6Brush edges with the melted butter and roll up.
- 7Pinch the 'frill' tightly at either end of the cracker.
- 8Brush once again with the butter.
- 9Place crackers on a baking tray.
- 10Cover and chill for 10 minutes.
- 11Preheat oven to 190°C.
- 12Brush each cracker with melted butter.
- 13Bake for 30 minutes, or until they are golden brown.
- 14Let them cool slightly on the tray and then transfer to wire rack to allow to cool completely.
- 15To make lemon sauce, put all the ingredients in a small saucepan and heat gently until dissolved, stirring occasionally.
- 16Pour warm sauce into a sauce boat and serve with the crackers.
- 17Dust crackers with icing sugar and tie foil ribbon around ends.
Browse Our Top Fruit Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Phyllo Crackers
Serving Size: 1 (1659 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 145.2
- Calories from Fat 58
- Total Fat 6.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 10.1 mg
- Sodium 116.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 10.4 g
- Protein 1.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, rind of