Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
I found a similar recipe on a recipe card, and adjusted a few things to my liking. This dish is so buttery and flavorful, the seasonings awesome. One bite you will be hooked. My BIL said it was the best thing he had ever eaten! It does take some time to put together, but so worth it.........Enjoy! You may want to use buttery Pam on the Phyllo, at least on some. I like real butter!!
- 4 skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach, drained well, squeeze dry
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 3 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 16 sheets phyllo dough
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted (or more for brushing Phyllo)
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- Pound out chicken breasts between waxed paper, until about 1/2 inch thick.
- In a large skillet over low heat melt butter, add garlic, cook for 1 minute. Add mushrooms,and salt, cook stirring for 3 minutes, then add spinach.
- Cover and cook 3 minutes longer. Divide the mixture, leaving in pan, into 4 portions.
- Mix parmesan cheese with basil, put on a plate.
- Take chicken out, and place each portion of spinach mixture onto chicken, spreading out within an inch of sides. Sprinkle 1 Tbl. of cheese on top. Roll each piece up, tucking sides in slightly. Repeat with remaining chicken.
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Make sure Phyllo is room temperature. Cut 8 sheets of phyllo at a time in half, cutting on the longest side.
- Using 4 halves per chicken roll, brush with melted butter, each piece, stacking as you go. Roll chicken, in more cheese mixture , then place on one end of buttered Phyllo. Fold up 2 sides, then roll to the end. repeat with the 3 remaining chicken rolls.
- Using a glass casserole dish, set the rolls in pan. Cut slits on the top of each. Brush butter over top. Sprinkle tops with sesame seeds.
- Bake untill golden brown, about 45 minutes.