Recipe by Arctides Regalis
I actually learned this recipe from watching a video interview between Madame Diller and comedian Roseanne Barr, in which Roseanne joined Diller for lunch at the latter's home. In the video, Phyllis put together this delicious recipe, which I've found incredibly simple to replicate with delicious results. As a note, I cannot completely replicate Ms. Diller's recipe, as she guesstimates most of her spice measurements. While this works for some, I know this site often prefers specific measurements rather than estimations. Either way, it's pretty close. Except for, Phyllis uses a lot more olive oil than I specify. To each their own.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (6 ounce) can sliced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 tablespoon garlic (powdered, chopped, or crushed)
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 cup red wine (most any kind will work)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat up the 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large sauce pan. Add the ground beef and cook it until browned.
- Open and add the contents of the canned tomatoes, tomato paste, and mushrooms (with the mushroom liquid intact). Add the chopped onions, garlic, oregano, basil, cayenne pepper and wine as well, and stir well.
- Bring the mixture back to a boil, and reduce heat to low, simmering for about 1 hour.
- Remove from heat and serve over spaghetti or another pasta of your choice. Garnish with parmesan if desired.