Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
These fritters are served with Simple Mango Chutney, tamarind or pommesitay (pomme de cythère) chutney as a light snack or tasty appetizer.
- If using already ground split peas omit step 2, 3 and 4.
- Place split peas in a pot with 6 cups water and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to simmer and cook until soft ( about 45 mins).
- Drain and place in a food processor.
- Grind to a coarse ,meal, resembling couscous.
- Add the garlic, turmeric, cumin, baking powder, flour salt and pepper to the ground split peas.
- Gradually add one cup water to the split pea mixture, stirring to form a thick batter.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan and drop the batter into the oil by the tablespoonful. Fry until golden brown, turning often.
- Remove from oil and drain on a plate with paper towels.
- Serve with your favourite chutney.
These are mildly flavored and have an interesting texture. I made mine a bit spicier, even adding a bit of cayenne. I had a difficult time making these - they were very fragile to turn and deep fry and I ended up losing a good bit of batter into the surrounding oil, but this was no doubt due to my technique. I tried frying a few in just a little oil, more like a pancake - but the deep frying is definitely the way to go - makes them nice and crunchy and light. I served these with a cranberry and a mango chutney - both complemented them nicely. Thanks for sharing!