Recipe by nivchek
This is a delicious vegan recipe that tastes a lot like cream of chicken soup, but with no cream and no chicken! The secret? Red lentils. No other lentils will do the trick. These are the tiny, salmon-colored ones that you can buy in bulk at the co-op, or in ethnic grocery stores. When cooked, they turn yellow and lose their shape completely.
- 3 cups red lentils, well-rinsed
- 3 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 vidalia onions or 2 small onions, chopped small
- 2 cups chopped celery hearts
- 1 lb peeled chopped carrot
- assorted herbs, of your choice whatever you'd add to real chicken soup
Directions See How It's Made
- In a stockpot, sauté the onion and celery in the oil until soft and golden. Add lentils, water, herbs, and carrots. Boil together until everything is soft and quite uniform with the only lumps being the soft carrots. Stir frequently and watch the flame to avoid scorching. Add salt to taste at the end. Serve hot with crusty bread.