Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a reasonable (cost wise), tasty meal using up left over Mashed Potatoes. I like a bit more zip to the crab cakes so I served them with a sweet Chili sauce on the side. I only used 2 tbsp of lite Olive oil on the pan to fry them but if you want a crunchy outside to the patties coat them with Panko or Potato flakes or seasoned bread crumbs and use a bit more oil in the pan. These crab cakes could be made into small balls and served as an appetizer using a hot sauce as a dip. I just threw this recipe together from left overs but decided to post the recipe cause we did enjoy the recipe
- 1 1⁄2 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups imitation crabmeat, meat. shredded
- 1⁄4 cup onion, minced
- 1⁄4 cup sweet green pepper, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, Minced (Use a red or green hot pepper)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- salt & pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (I prefer Oliv lite0)
- In a bowl Mix all the ingredients well.
- Form into 5 patties, cover & refrigerate for an hour ( allows them to firm up a bit more ).
- Heat oil in the pan and fry patties over medium heat until golden on each side and heated through apprx 5 minutes each size.
- Remove from heat n serve having a lovely fresh mixed greens salad as a side dish.
I didn't have any jalapeno peppers so to give them a little kick I added some red pepper flakes. That did the trick. I made them without green peppers, too, and added a little extra garlic.. They're quite tasty. Thanks.
Not sure how to rate this, since given the other two reviews I think I must have done something wrong with this. The cakes were way to potato-y and we couldn't really taste the fake crab in it. Next time I think I will change the 1:1 ratio of the crabmeat and potato. The only change I made was to use red peppers, but I can't see that having changed the outcome too much.
These were wonderful. Made them for my meat and potato husband and he loved them. Any thing that makes him smile is got to be good.