1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 35 mins
Sue Lau's Note:
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Slice meat thinly; mix with pepper, salt, cornstarch, oil, and baking powder.
- 2Let meat stand for 1 hour, then place meat in a plastic ziplock bag and set in freezer for 45 minutes, turning each 10 minutes to keep from freezing.
- 3Remove from freezer and mince very fine in small quantities, or grind in a mortar.
- 4Boil 2 cups of water in a saucepan, then reduce to a simmer.
- 5Mix 1 cup of cold water with 1 teaspoon salt; oil your hands, and place about a tablespoonful of meat in your palm and squeeze tightly.
- 6Dip soup spoon into salty water, then use to lower meatball into boiling water; remove meatballs when they turn white or rise to the surface.
- 7Repeat method until all meatballs are finished.
- 8After all the meatballs are done, add 1 quart of water and 1 teaspoon of salt to the water and bring to a boil.
- 9Skim off the foam.
- 10Reduce the heat to low, add the beef balls to the stock and simmer for 3-5 minutes.
- 11To serve, put 5-6 beef balls and some soup in a bowl and sprinkle with some green onions, chopped cilantro, and 1-2 drops of sesame oil.
- 12Make 3 bowls of dipping sauces for the meatballs: 1 with hoisin sauce, 1 with black bean sauce, and 1 with Sriracha chile sauce and lemongrass stirred together.
- 13Sip the soup and dip the meatballs into the bowls of dipping sauces.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pho Vo Vien - Vietnamese Beef Ball Soup
Serving Size: 1 (53 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 369.1
- Calories from Fat 236
- Total Fat 26.2 g
- Saturated Fat 9.5 g
- Cholesterol 78.7 mg
- Sodium 1372.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 21.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
black bean sauce