1/1 Photo of Pho Bo - Beef Noodle Soup
This is from a Vietnamese cookbook, lent to me by a friend. The ginger makes for a spicy, flavourful broth.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 450 g flat rice noodles
- 225 g bean sprouts
- 8 shallots, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped coriander
- 225 g filet of beef, very finely sliced
For the broth
- 1 2/3 liters beef stock or 1 2/3 liters canned beef consomme
- 115 g piece fresh ginger, cut into matchsticks
- 2 sticks cinnamon bark
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seed
- 3 pieces star anise
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1Make the broth by bringing the stock to a boil.
- 2Add the ginger, cinnamon, coriander seeds and star anise.
- 3Simmer for 15 minutes, then add the sugar, salt, pepper and fish sauce.
- 4Strain the broth and return to the pan, keeping hot over a low heat.
- 5Boil a pan of water and cook the noodles until al dente.
- 6When you put the noodles in the water, put the beef in the hot broth to cook. You don't need to boil it. The beef will cook just from the heat of the broth because it is so thinly sliced.
- 7Drain and divide the noodles among individual bowls.
- 8Add a handful of beansprouts, some shallots and coriander.
- 9Ladle the hot broth and beef over.
- 10At the table, each person can add the hoisin sauce, chilli sauce, lime juice, fresh chilli and basil to taste.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pho Bo - Beef Noodle Soup
Serving Size: 1 (727 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 698.7
- Calories from Fat 139
- Total Fat 15.4 g
- Saturated Fat 6.0 g
- Cholesterol 39.3 mg
- Sodium 2680.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 116.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 23.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
filet of beef