Prep 1 hr 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
These are great for a picnic or for a family BBQ! The kids will just gobble them up. Plus they're really easy to make. I hope you enjoy them as much as we do.
- 1⁄4 ounce active dry yeast
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- coarse salt
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in large mixing bowl.
- Stir in teaspoon salt, sugar and 2-cups of flour.
- Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour t make dough easy to handle.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic. (about 5-minutes).
- Place in greased bowl; turn greased side up. Cover: let rise until doubled (about 60-minutes). Dough is ready if an indentation remains when touched.
- Heat oven to 425Â°.
- Punch down dough and cut into 16-equal parts. Roll each part into a rope about 18ï¿½ long. Twist each rope into a pretzel shape.
- Brush pretzels with beaten egg and sprinkle coarse salt. Bake until pretzels are golden brown (about 15-20 minutes).
- If using self-rising flour omit 1-teaspoon of salt.
Since we live in South Jersey (NJ) we have all been spoiled by the best soft pretzels just across the Delaware River in Philadelphia. And now we can have them any time and any where! Thanks oneyettwo!