Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
All the good stuff from a Philly Pizza Cheesesteak w/ everything. If you don't like it "with everything", leave the peppers and mushrooms out. Sometimes I make half w/ them and half without.
- 1 lb mafalda pasta (or similar shape pasta)
- 1 lb Steak-ums, frozen chipped steak (or similar brand)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 4 -5 cups marinara sauce (bottled or homemade) or 4 -5 cups tomato sauce (bottled or homemade)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 slices American cheese
- Boil mafalda pasta according to package directions.
- While pasta is cooking, Preheat oven to 350. Then, break up Steak-Ums into small pieces with hands and place them in a large skillet with onion, pepper and mushroom. Cook over med-high heat, stirring often and chopping meat a bit more, until meat is browned and peppers are tender. Drain.
- In a large bowl, combine the browned meat/veggie mixture with cooked and drained pasta. Add salt, pepper, and oregano. Stir.
- Add 4 cups sauce and the cheddar cheese and stir well. Pour into at least a 13" x 9" baking dish.
- Cut 6 slices of American cheese in half so you have 12 half slices. Arrange 12 half slices of cheese evenly on top.
- Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.
This was good and easy to make. I was in the mode for something different and I have had this in my cookbook for a long time. I followed the recipe as written other then I used minced onions instead of onion and didn't add the oregano as I am not a fan. I used marinara sauce. Everyone in the house enjoyed it. Next time I think I may try and use other cheese to make it taste more like a philly cheese steak. Thanks Parsley for a yummy recipe!