Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is from Dave Lieberman....sooooo good!!!! And quick too! You can use whatever cheese you like! I also add some spicy steak seasoning to the meat.
- 3 tablespoons oil (plus more as needed)
- 2 medium red onions, sliced thin
- salt and pepper
- 2 lbs top round beef, semi-frozen
- 1⁄2 lb Fontina cheese, cut into small cubes
- 4 hoagie rolls
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in large skillet over high heat.
- Saute onion until wilted and just starting to color, stirring frequently, about 7 minutes. Sprinkle onions with salt while cooking.
- Slice the steak into very thin slices. (Partially freezing enables you to slice it very thin.).
- Remove onions from skillet.
- Salt and pepper (and season if desired) steak slices then saute in same skillet, in batches until cooked thru, about 45 seconds per side.
- Repeat process for the remaining steak slices, adding more oil as needed.
- Meanwhile, melt the cheese cubes in a microwave-safe bowl on low power for a couple of minutes or until completely melted. (Actually do this right before assembly, cuz the cheese cools off too quickly.).
- Cut each roll in half lengthwise. Fill each roll with steak, onions and melted cheese.
I've often wondered what these tasted like and now I know-delicious. mummamills made these for our lunch few days ago then served them with a selection of sauces and relishes which just added to the flavour. I'll be making these for myself really soon.
made this for JanroundOz and hubby Russel, it went down a treat. If I have one "concern"t is that I only used half the meat and cheese, and found it was enough for 4 rolls.I guess it is a matter of taste. I used gouda, simply threw the slices on the cooked steak and put a lid on while I got the buns ready. Brilliant easy lunch, and I would make it again.