1/2 Photos of Philly Cheesesteaks (Sandwich)
I come from the land of seafood po' boys so Philly Cheesteak Sandwiches are new to me. I was gifted a Cook's Country magazine and this recipe was one featured. Their process of developing a recipe is so interesting. This particular one included a trip to the more famous purveyors of sandwiches in South Philadelphia and the recreation was, naturally, all about the beef. After the prep, the sandwiches cook pretty quickly. (Note: The recipe doesn't call for it, but I dash on some garlic power for additional flavor.)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skille over medium high heat until very hot. Add onions and cook until soft and golden, about 5 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- 2Season with salt and pepper the pounded steak slices. Heat additional 2 teaspoons oil in the same skillet and heat until very hot. Place half of the steaks into the skillet (they may overlap).
- 3Cook until steaks are no longer pink, about 1 minute per side. Remove pan from heat, layer 4 half slices of cheese over meat, top with more meat and finally 4 more half slices of cheese. Cover pan with lid to melt cheese, about 1 minute.
- 4Divide meat and cheese between 2 rolls, top with half of onions and pour accumulated juices from skillet over the meat. (To keep warm, wrap in foil while preparing the remainding sandwiches.).
- 5Wipe skillet clean with paper towelling and repeat process with remaining steaks. Wrap the second batch of sandwiches in foil and let sit for about 1 minute to allow flavors meld. Serve.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Philly Cheesesteaks (Sandwich)
Serving Size: 1 (309 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 582.8
- Calories from Fat 161
- Total Fat 17.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.0 g
- Cholesterol 102.0 mg
- Sodium 628.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 47.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: