Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
I wrote this recipe down from the White Dog Cafe Cookbook, the cookbook wasn't mine, but I wanted to try them. The Cafe is in Philadelphia.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 2 large portabella mushroom caps, thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 lb trimmed flank steak, paper thin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated monterey jack pepper cheese
- 2 soft crusted long French baguettes or 4 italian style hoagie rolls
- Preheat the oven to 400*.
- Heat the oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat until it ripples.
- Add the onions and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and 1 teaspoon of the salt and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the flank steak, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper and saute until meat is cooked through about 5 more minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle cheese over the top, cover the pan, and set aside until the cheese melts.
- Meanwhile, slice the baguettes lengthwise.
- Place, cut sides up, on a baking sheet, and toast in the oven until crisp (4 to 5 minutes).
- Fill the baguettes with the meat and cheese.
- Cut each into 2 portions.
- Serve immediately.