Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
All the taste of the famous sandwich but made easy using ground beef and an optional homemade provolone cheese sauce. In a pinch, you can use sliced provolone cheese or cheez whiz instead.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 3 tablespoons steak sauce, I like A-1
- 1⁄2 cup beef broth
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- 4 large hamburger buns
- 1 tablespoon butter, for toasting buns
- cheese sauce (recipe below) or provolone cheese (sliced) or Cheez Whiz
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup provolone cheese (shredded)
- Add the oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef and cook 5-6 minutes or until no longer pink. Add the onion and bell pepper and continue to cook 2-3 minutes or until crisp tender. Drain off any fat. Stir in the steak sauce and beef broth (and Worcestershire, if using). Season with salt and pepper. Cook until liquid is gone.
- Butter the cut sides of the buns. Toast the buttered sides in a hot skillet on medium-high heat. Set aside.
- To make the cheese sauce, melt the butter in a 1-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Whisk in the flour and cook about 1 minute. Whisk in milk, bring up to a bubble and cook until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in the cheese. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- To serve, place a scoop of the meat mixture onto the bottom half of the buns. Top with cheese sauce (or cheese) and cover with the top half of the bun.
Made this for my very picky husband and he and my son loved it!! I didn't have provolone so I substituted mozzarella and it was great! You must try this one!!
This was different for us. I followed the recipe except when I went to add the Worcestershire sauce I put more in then a drizzle. I actually like it though with more Worcestershire sauce. My family didn't think it had enough flavor though. What I had left I froze and will see if the flavors draw through more.
Everyone in the house liked these. I wasn't crazy about the sauce, but I thought that the taste alone was good.