1/6 Photos of Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches
Sue Lau's Note:
Easy and quick to make. I like using provolone cheese although you can use cheddar spread (melted Velveeta or Cheez-Whiz) if it suits you.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 24 1/2 ounces Steak-ums or 24 1/2 ounces shaved rib eye steaks
- 4 -5 split fresh hoagie rolls or 4 -5 French bread
- 1/2 lb sliced provolone cheese or 1/2 lb melted cheddar cheese, spread
- 8 ounces sliced fresh button mushrooms (optional)
- 1/2 green pepper, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1/2 large sweet vidalia onion, thinly sliced (optional)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced banana pepper
- mayonnaise or yellow mustard
- 1In a large skillet, heat olive oil and add sliced mushrooms, green pepper, onion, salt and pepper (if using).
- 2Cook over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until tender and onions begin to caramelize.
- 3If slicing your own bread, it works best if the bread is not sliced all the way through, but sort of hinged at one side.
- 4Place 5-6 ounces frozen steak-umms on a heated griddle or frypan and cook until nicely browned, shredding meat with forks or a spatula as it thaws and cooks, and shaping meat into a bun-shaped pile.
- 5Drain off any fat as it accumulates in the pan.
- 6Place some of the cooked vegetable mixture on the pile of cooking meat.
- 7When meat is done to your liking, place opened hoagie roll over meat and use a long spatula to lift sandwich and turn it over.
- 8Put any dropped filling into the bun.
- 9Add sliced banana peppers to sandwich and any condiments (mustard or mayo).
- 10Place 2 (1-ounce each) slices provolone cheese over filling (or you may add melted cheddar spread at this point).
- 11Microwave sandwich for 30-45 seconds or until bun has softened and cheese is melted, if desired.
- 12Slice in half and serve hot.
- 13Repeat with remaining sandwiches.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches
Serving Size: 1 (323 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 969.2
- Calories from Fat 642
- Total Fat 71.3 g
- Saturated Fat 31.0 g
- Cholesterol 162.6 mg
- Sodium 965.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 49.2 g