Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Easy and quick to make. I like using provolone cheese although you can use cheddar spread (melted Velveeta or Cheez-Whiz) if it suits you.
- 24 1⁄2 ounces Steak-ums or 24 1⁄2 ounces shaved rib eye steaks
- 4 -5 split fresh hoagie rolls or 4 -5 French bread
- 1⁄2 lb sliced provolone cheese or 1⁄2 lb melted cheddar cheese, spread
- 8 ounces sliced fresh button mushrooms (optional)
- 1⁄2 green pepper, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1⁄2 large sweet vidalia onion, thinly sliced (optional)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup sliced banana pepper
- mayonnaise or yellow mustard
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil and add sliced mushrooms, green pepper, onion, salt and pepper (if using).
- Cook over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until tender and onions begin to caramelize.
- If slicing your own bread, it works best if the bread is not sliced all the way through, but sort of hinged at one side.
- Place 5-6 ounces frozen steak-umms on a heated griddle or frypan and cook until nicely browned, shredding meat with forks or a spatula as it thaws and cooks, and shaping meat into a bun-shaped pile.
- Drain off any fat as it accumulates in the pan.
- Place some of the cooked vegetable mixture on the pile of cooking meat.
- When meat is done to your liking, place opened hoagie roll over meat and use a long spatula to lift sandwich and turn it over.
- Put any dropped filling into the bun.
- Add sliced banana peppers to sandwich and any condiments (mustard or mayo).
- Place 2 (1-ounce each) slices provolone cheese over filling (or you may add melted cheddar spread at this point).
- Microwave sandwich for 30-45 seconds or until bun has softened and cheese is melted, if desired.
- Slice in half and serve hot.
- Repeat with remaining sandwiches.
Thanks for posting Sue. These sandwiches made for a nice weekday meal. Made as written except for the banana peppers as that was my family's preference. The mushrooms, onions and peppers made it authentic so much so we needed no mayo or mustard. We served the Steak- ums on soft hoagie rolls with the melted cheese. Delish. The whole group loved these. The dish comes together fast so having a good amount of space to do the Steak-ums is important. We added a tossed salad and dinner was served. Enjoy! ChefDLH
These were pretty good! I think the only thing I did differently besides leaving out some ingredients my boyfriend doesn't like, is that after I sliced the hoagie roles 3/4 of the way through I buttered them and then put them in the oven @ 350 degrees (face down) until they were golden browned on the inside. Then filled em with meat and cheese etc and put them in the oven face up until the cheese melted. yummy!
Oh Sue, this was sublime and so easy! Just what the doctor ordered on this 100+F day. I hadn't had a Philly cheesesteak with mushrooms before, but I won't go without them again. I omitted the green and banana peppers as is our preference, but followed it to the letter for the rest, using provolone, Steak-Ums and a French baguette. Microwaving the sandwich at the end for 45 seconds was ideal and didn't make the bread soggy at all, but allowed the cheese to melt beautifully. (I DO recommend French bread for that purpose.) PERFECT! I should have known you'd have another great recipe, what with all those wonderful-looking Indian dishes of yours I've drooled over for so long. Thanks, Sue!