Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
- Heat broiler.
- Heat oil in large, heavy nonstick skillet over high heat. Add meat; saute 1 1/2 minutes per side. Remove from pan to cutting board.
- Slice meat across grain at an angle. Transfer to plate; cover and keep warm.
- Add onion, salt and pepper to skillet. Reduce heat to medium; saute until onion is softened, about 10 minutes.
- Place meat on bottom of buns, dividing equally. Divide onion over meat. Top with cheese.
- Place on baking sheet. Broil sandwich bottoms until the cheese melts, about 1 minute. (The sandwich tops, cut side up, may be toasted under the broiler at this time.) Place the tops on sandwiches.
- Serve immediately.
You must use provolone cheese and not cheddar, and also the proper steaks shaved thin, if you want to be authentic. This is in no way a Philly Cheese Steak.