- 1 lb good quality cut steak, cut into thin 2 inch strips
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons italian seasoning (finely grind with your fingers)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 onion, sliced thin (1/4"inch)
- 1 -2 green bell pepper, julienned
- 3⁄4 cup sliced mushrooms
- 3 ounces swiss cheese, thinly sliced
- 4 hoagie rolls, split lengthwise
- Place the sliced beef in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix together salt, pepper, paprika, cayenne pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and italian seasoning.
- Sprinkle over beef and stir to combine.
- Heat half the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Saute beef to desired doneness, and remove from pan, keep warm.
- Meanwhile heat remaining oil in skillet, and saute the onion, green peppers and mushrooms until tender, with green peppers still somewhat crisp.
- Add steak to veggies and keep warm.
- Preheat oven to broil.
- Butter hoagie buns and lay a slice of cheese, (torn in half) over the bottom of each bun.
- Divide steak and veggies over buns, add another slice of divided cheese.
- Lay on foil lined cookie sheet (keep top bun to the side so that it broils also) Broil just until cheese melts, remove from broiler, cover with top half of bun.
I'm sure this is delicious, however, this is not an authentic recipe for a Philly Cheese Steak. It's no more "Philly" than saying Dominos is an authentic representation of Italian pizza. An authentic Philly Cheese Steak is far simpler. Just super thin sliced rib eye/round eye steak, an Amoroso Roll, soya oil (that's what Pat's King of Steak uses, the originator of the steak), and cheese wiz/provalone. Sauteed onions are an option. BTW, adding swiss cheese to a "Philly" Cheese Steak is like wearing a Cowboys jersey to an Eagles game, especially if it's an Owens jersey. -Yo Adrian!!!!
This recipe actually has a lot of flavor, compared to the others. My go to recipe when it's Philly time!
This is a great recipe. I used elk meat because I have a lot of it to use up. My family all loved it, and they don't always like to eat the game I bring home. I will definitely use this recipe again and again.