Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
A creamy, cheesy soup that tastes just like a philly cheese steak.
Make and share this Philly Cheese Steak Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 6 cups milk
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can beef consomme
- 3⁄4 lb cooked beef or 3⁄4 lb rib eye, diced
- 8 ounces provolone cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Melt butter in large, heavy-bottomed stock pot or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add green peppers, onion, and mushrooms and saute until tender (about 5 minutes).
- Add flour and cook another 5 minutes stirring often. This is an important step to cook out the flour taste.
- Slowly whisk in milk and bring to a simmer stirring often until soup thickens.
- Reduce heat to medium low and stir in beef consomme, salt and pepper.
- Slowly stir in provolone until all is melted and incorporated into soup.
- Remove from heat and stir in roast beef.
- Serve with a crusty loaf of french bread.
- To freeze: Prepare soup as directed and allow to cool. Place in rigid freezer container. Seal, label and freeze.
- To serve: Thaw in fridge. Reheat in microwave or on stovetop,stirring to recombine the soup.
i made a few changes. Reduced butter to 1/2 a stick, watching fat and cholesterol. reduced flour to 1/2 c and used 4 cups milk (2%). used 1 cup of beef broth. And we used 1lb of thinly sliced chuck steak that I seasoned with salt and pepper, diced up and cooked in iron skillet with a little olive oil really quick which cooking all of it at the same time produced a good broth. i did not cook them dry but just until done and then added the meat and the juice from the pan. this was a nice dish on this cold night. and i have enough for the freezer for another dinner. Thanks for sharing
This was wonderful. I followed the recipe except the green pepper. It was easy and the ingredients are things I could easily have on hand. It took less than 1 hour to make. This will become a regular for us.
LOVED THIS SOUP! The trick is NOT TO RUSH. I love a creamier soup, and this was it. Thank You so much!