It's so simple & easy for the life of me I don't know why our local restaurants can't get it right, the key is the Ribeye and the Cheez Whiz, if you veer off that course it won't taste right. In answer to Alan's review I beg to differ! I just watched a show that followed the making of these great sandwiches at both Pat's & Geno's and guess what?! The Provolone was added after the fact because of customer requests, not the Authentic cheese!!! Pat invented the sandwich and uses Cheez Whiz -- not slamming Alan but I got it from the source so do try the sandwich, you'll absolutely LOVE it! I use butter because that adds a depth of flavor you don't get with the olive oil. Use what you like!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Have your butcher slice a thick ribeye into slices as thin as he (or she) can. If you like the original (Pat's) chop the slices into bite sized pieces. If you like Geno's then don't chop.
- 2Start a double boiler up & place the cheez whiz in it to warm up, if you can't find that size just any squeeze bottle will do as long as it's cheez whiz, that's the important part.
- 3Place onions in some butter on a griddle or in a large skillet and cook until nicely carmelized.
- 4Scootch them over & add beef, turn once browned, when done just scootch them over to cook the rest of the meat. You don't want to overlap the meat while it's cooking.
- 5Place a nice heap of the beef onto a hoagie roll, no need to warm the roll, it's positively awesome as is, add a good heap of the onions & slather with the cheese whiz. That's it! Enjoy the hell out of it, these are SO DARNED GOOD! Trust me, it was the hit of our little super bowl party -- .
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich As It Should Be Made... Authentic!
Serving Size: 1 (346 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 921.2
- Calories from Fat 566
- Total Fat 62.9 g
- Saturated Fat 32.7 g
- Cholesterol 195.7 mg
- Sodium 2540.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 11.1 g
- Protein 41.3 g