Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Pillsbury! Slices of fresh-baked Pillsbury® crusty French loaf top a beefy onion soup-for two.
- 1 (11 ounce) can Pillsbury refrigerated crusty french loaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon butter
- 1 (1/2 lb) rib eye steak, trimmed of fat, cut into bite-size strips (boneless beef 1/2 lb)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 (18 1/2 ounce) can French onion soup (Progresso Vegetable Classics)
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces, drained (Green Giant)
- 1⁄2 cup provolone cheese (2 oz shredded)
- 3 tablespoons green bell peppers (chopped)
- Heat oven to 350°F Bake French loaf as directed on can. Meanwhile, in 2-quart saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add beef strips; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook and stir until browned. Stir in soup; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer uncovered 20 minutes.
- Stir mushrooms into soup; cook until thoroughly heated. Cut 2 (1-inch-thick) diagonal slices from warm loaf; reserve remaining loaf to serve with soup.
- Set oven control to broil. Ladle soup into 2 (15-oz) ovenproof bowls. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of the cheese onto each serving. Top each with bread slice. Sprinkle bell pepper and remaining cheese evenly over each.
- Place bowls on cookie sheet; broil 4 to 6 inches from heat 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and bread is toasted. Serve soup with remaining slices of loaf.