Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
I found this in Woman's World magazine a while back and plan to try them for the Fourth. They sound delightfully different and fun, although I think when I make them, I'll grill the dogs. Also, I feel compelled to add seasoned, finely crumbled and nicely browned ground beef over the pepper mixture, THEN add the Cheez Whiz. Voila!--A Philly Cheese "Steak" Dog"! Or maybe a Philly "Chili" dog? I'm just sayin'...
- 3 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced (1 cup)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 hot dog rolls, split
- 4 hot dogs
- 1⁄2 cup Cheez Whiz, from a 15 oz. jar, heated
- In a large nonstick skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Add peppers, onion, and oregano; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 10-12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine garlic powder and and remaining 2 tablespoons butter; brush over split sides of rolls. If desired, heat grill pan over medium-high heat. Grill rolls, split side down or bake on oven until toasted; reserve.
- Remove pepper mixture from skillet; reserve. To same skillet add hot dogs; cook, turning, until heated through and lightly browned, about 7 minutes. Place hot dogs in rolls. Top with reserved pepper mixture and Cheez Whiz.