Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A sure hit, one step, tea bread which is best served sliced and buttered the next day - if it lasts that long. It is a 'can't fail' recipe, that is a great one to let the kids help with while they are learning their way around the kitchen, as my boys did.
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 cup raw sugar
- 2 cups sultanas
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 4 teaspoons golden syrup or 4 teaspoons black treacle
- Put all ingredients into a bowl and mix.
- Pour into a greased, baking paper lined loaf tin and bake 1.5 to 1.75 hrs in a slow oven. 375F 160C or until quite firm.
- In this instance the cup measure is just that. If a large cup (mug) is used the mixture is sufficient for two loaves.
- As cake is in oven for a long time it is advisable to cover cakes with greaseproof paper (greased) and tinfoil about half way through to ensure the top does not burn.
- Ideally best if eaten the day after baking.