Recipe by dicentra
This if from 365 One Dish Meals. “A Philippine knife-and-fork stew known as pochero was the inspiration for this dish.” Posting for ZWT3.
- 10 ounces chorizo sausage, casings removed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, mashed
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (14 ounce) canpeeled tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 1/2 inch chunks
- 1 (8 ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 cup converted rice
- 1⁄2 lb bok choy, washed and shredded
- 2 firm bananas, sliced
- 3 scallions, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- In a Dutch oven, break up chorizo with a spoon and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened, 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, chicken broth, tomatoes with their liquid, water, bay leaf, ginger, chicken, garbanzo beans, sweet potatoes and rice. Heat to simmering over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer 40 minutes.
- Stir in bok choy and bananas. Cover and cook 10-15 minutes. Serve in bowls, with a sprinkling of scallions.