I think I would eat anything, as long as it was cooked in coconut milk (not an assertion I really want to test). This is from Sundays at Moosewood.
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried mung beans
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh gingerroot, peeled and finely minced
- 1 -2 small fresh chili pepper, minced
- 5 -6 garlic cloves, minced
- 14 ounces coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 cups finely chopped chard leaves
- Soak the beans in water for several hours or overnight. Drain, then cook them until tender (about 1 hour). Drain.
- While the beans are cooking, saute the onions in the oil with salt.
- When translucent, add ginger, chiles, and garlic. Simmer on low heat for a few minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Combine the beans and the coconut milk mixture in a large pot. Add the soy sauce and chard, and cook until the chard wilts.
- Remove from heat and serve (I like it with rice).